Saturday, January 17, 2009

Dinner tonight was sooo good. I decided last week that when we have taco night, that I should add a drained can of black beans to the meat mixture to help stretch the meal and make 2 out of it, and also to add some fiber and make it even healthier (already slightly healthier by use of ground turkey breast instead of ground beef). We are also having fish tacos in a couple of days, so I decided to make up a batch of salsa to go with tacos tonight and with the fish tacos (I'll also be making a cucumber salsa for the fish tacos, but GI Joe won't eat that so MORE FOR ME muahahaha...). Anyways, everyone really really liked the tacos, and they even loved the salsa. It was a bit of a strange recipe, it's in one of my weight watchers cookbooks, it actually goes with tuna steaks. I've made it once in the past, but I was the only one that ate it, as GI Joe was deployed at the time. I wasn't sure if he would like it because it has cilantro in it, and he generally turns up his nose to cilantro. And I figured G might like it, but didn't think J would coz well it has vegetables OMGZ. But he did, even asked for more, and didn't even complain about the beans in the tacos, actually said he liked them. So shocked. The recipe goes something like this:
2 cups roma/plum tomatoes (about 6), diced small
2 tbsp finely chopped jalapenos
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (I used probably about 4 coz I LOVE cilantro but shh, don't tell the hubby!)
1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 limes worth)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar (this is what makes it slightly strange, but really, it's absolutely delicious)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Mix all together well, let it sit about 30 minutes.

And like I said, the actual recipe is for tuna steaks and salsa, you grill some tuna steaks and top it with this salsa. I also made smoothies for a snack for us earlier. Just threw some stuff together, and again, kiddos loved it. For that, I used a bag of frozen strawberries (2 cups I believe), 2 small bananas, about 1 and 1/2 to 2 cups lowfat vanilla yogurt, about 1/2 cup milk, and about 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups very vanilla silk soy milk. So yummy. I want peach ones now. I have a bag of frozen peaches too, so maybe I'll try that one night, mmmmm peach and vanilla creamy goodness.
In other news, I'm without BC pills for a week. I start a fresh pack on Friday nights. So last night, well at about 1 a.m. as we were about to go to bed, I went to the linen closet where I also store all our meds and stuff like that. No BC pill packs anywhere. Shit. See, I get my refills in sets of 3, so I usually assume I have some in the closet. Not this time, and I was dumb and hadn;t checked until the very moment I needed them. So of course I proceed to freak out, because A.) the main reason I take them is because I bleed uncontrollably without them, for weeks and weeks at a time, and B.) well, I just had my period and had been a week without sexy time, and I wanted sexy time damn it! I figured I'd call the clinic on base today when I got up and see if they could call me in a prescription to walgreens or something, or see if i could take my prescription label to walgreens and get it filled somehow. Well after a few back and forth phone calls with the after hours clinic line, and waiting for the on call doc to call the nurse back, he said he wouldn't call it in and he felt I should just wait til next week to pick up my pills. As in, you fucked up so you deal with your mistake coz I'm not taking 5 minutes out of my day to help you out of your sticky situation. Asshole. After the nurse explained to him that I needed them so I wouldn't bleed all the time, and that it would be Thursday before I could get my refills. Oh, and that....I called the refill line, and put in my refill order, and was informed by the asshole automated voice man that my prescription would be ready Thursday. When it should damn well be ready on Tuesday, Monday is a holiday and Tuesday is the next business day. So I guess I'll call the pharmacy Monday morning and see if they can go ahead and get them for me on Tuesday. I mean, how freakin hard could it be, you go to the shelf and pull off 3 packs of pills. You don't even have to count shit out and put them in a bottle, they're already pre-measured in their own handy dandy little packs! I'm already feeling crampy, and I hope it's only in my head and that I don't start bleeding before I get these pills. If I do, then that means like a month or more til I get it all sorted out and my body gets back on track. Ugh.

No comments: