Sunday, January 20, 2008

I'm such a slacker

So, hubby came home last weekend. He was supposed to have another 4 weeks of that training course, however, he failed the unnoficial PT test, and in order to stay in the class you had to pass it. He had failed the initial one at the beginning of the course, and all the people that failed were to take it again on that Friday. Well, he actually improved on everything on the second test, lost 2 inches on his waist measurement (in 4 days time, mind you), added about 5-7 sit ups and push ups, and his run time had started to improve. However, here is the shitty part- they had them running on the side of a road (when there was an actual running track right by there), in the dark. Well, dear clumsy soul that he is, poor hubby tripped in a hole and twisted his ankle, had to walk for a minute to loosen his ankle up, and then kept on trucking and started running again to finish. Did they take that into consideration when his run time worsened and therefore made him fail the test? Nope. So he was told to pack 'em up and move 'em out. When he got back to work this past week, he had talked to his supervisor and he told hubby to type up a detailed log of the events that took place at the course and email it to him, because it was BS that he got kicked out this way, particularly considering hubby got the highest score on a written test they had in the course, and pretty much failed out on a technicality. And it isn't even an official PT test, which he has only failed like once his entire career. So yeah. He told me yesterday that his supervisor sent the email to the Chief, and the Chief thought the course was BS, so he sent it up to the ACC headquarters, in hopes of preventing this happening to someone else. Not that it's really a big deal, it isn't even a required course. So I don't know, it's all stupid anyhow. He was asking me earlier today what I thought about the whole re-enlisting again thing. He'll be up to re-enlist in May, and said he'll have about 9 months or so to decide if he wants to re-enlist or not. When this enlistment is up next May, he'll have 10 years in, so that's halfway to retirement. That's why he is torn on re-enlisting, he can retire at 38 and get retirement pay, and start a whole new career. But a lot of times, he is sick of the crap, sick of being away from home. And honestly, I am too, I've been tired of it. I have told him I'll support him in whatever he decides, and that is up to him- it's his career, his job, he has to live with the decision every day. And I mean that, I've stood by him the past 9 years in this, and I'll continue to stand by him. I've not always liked it, and I won't always like it, but if it is what he wants, then so be it. I just want him home. I'm tired of feeling like our life is on hold, waiting for him to leave again, waiting for him to return when he's gone. But what can you do?
Anyways....I've been on a mission to de-clutter again. Last weekend, I took everything out of the bottom of our bedroom closet, made 2 piles of get rid of junk (one to try to sell or go to Goodwill, the other trash) and then re-organized everything that was left. There is so much more room in there now! I also got rid of a lot of stuff in G's closet, it's far from perfect, but a lot better now, and there is some extra room for storage now. Yesterday, I cleaned our bedroom. It had been neglected for far too long. I cleared out the bottom of our bathroom closet to make room for the laundry basket, so that took care of the clothes all over the floor. Cleaned off the top of the chest of drawers and arranged things neatly. Top of the dresser still needs to be finished, but I'll take care of that shortly. Cleaned off GI Joe's nightstand of all the junk. Disassembled the dog's crate (which was next to my side of the bed and served as my nightstand....ghettoooooo...lol) and put it in the closet. Brought in an end table from the garage and put it on my side of the bed. I even made the bed....and did so again this morning when we got up. I generally don't make the bed. I don't see the damn point in it, you're just gonna be climbing back in it at night and messing it all up again. But, I wanted to create a sense of order and neatness, and it wouldn't have been the same with an unkempt bed. I'm happy with the bedroom again, it's a nice space, and it isn't an overwhelming mess when you walk in now. I think today I'm going to move G's living room toybox into her room. She's going to bring whatever she wants to play with in here anyhow, might as well just put it all into her room.
On the food front, we'll be having Creole Catfish Sandwiches (weight watchers recipe, haven't tried yet), and potato salad tonight. Tomorrow, homemade yummy wonderful beef stew and cornbread. It's one of those many things that I just randomly throw together and tastes amazing. My mother hates that I can do that, she has to have a recipe in order to make anything edible. Tuesday night, we'll be having pork chops and roasted veggies (yellow squash, baby carrots, onion, baby portabello mushrooms, tomatoes, and lots of garlic). Wednesday will be turkey burgers and broccoli casserole. Most nights will also have salad included, we almost always have salad with dinner. That's as far as I've gotten on the menu so far. I had made it for 2 weeks in advance, so now I have to pick up where I left off :P
Ok, enough of my rambling, I've got things to do that I don't particularly want to do, but hey, such is the life of a simple little ol' housewife :P

6 comments:

Mo said...

Ahh, the military. Boy do I know that feeling. We left active duty just shy of dh's 10 year mark because, well, once you've done 10 you may as well stick it out. Fat lot of good it did us, what with Iraq coming up in about 6 months. I hate how the squared away guys get the shaft and you see some chucklehead getting away with murder and receiving a pat on the back for it. Especially in recruiting, but I'm not gonna launch into that. Bitter? Who, me? Sounds like he has some people above him who've got his back though.
Order and neatness freak me out. Maybe it's just a subconcious laziness thing.
I heart food. Mushrooms and garlic are two of my favorite things. Alas, I married a man with a bland palate.
Will you be my new best friend? Wait, that does come with food privileges, right?

ummmhello said...

Wow now that's a big decision your hubby's got to make. Kudos to you for being able to keep it together and deal with his absences. Takes a strong woman.... because I'd me moaning and groaning every day!

Jared said...

Leaving the military after 9 and-a-half years was hard. Two years later I can say it was one of the best things we have ever done. The time with the kids and family has been wonderful. Of course since I decided to go to school instead of getting a job that would support us it has been very challenging month to month financially but I believe that will pay off.

Summary: if he can get a good job lined up it might not be a bad time to leave. I however will be going back on active duty after college. After my 12 month deployment later this year I will only need about 9 more years for retirement. Retirement will make it worth sticking it out.

My Opinion: Stay if you can but if your family needs more than financial stability and needs to grow roots ina community and never leave then it's time to leave.

ProzacPoet said...

Mo- Ha, yeah, that's his thoughts....once you've got 10 in, what's 10 more? He says he doesn't think he'll get out if he can't get a government job, so he can carry over his time in the AF towards retirement and still be able to retireme in 10 years from a government job and receive his retirement pay. That would be awesome, particularly if we could stay here, as my parents are actually moveing down here this summer. And yes, you are so right, the screw-ups are always getting away with everything, and never deploy (a woman my husband works with, who has been in a few years longer than he has and who ranks lower haha to her :P, she has NEVER deployed in her entire career, she was supposed to be on the last deployment my hubby was on, but he had to go in her place coz "oh her aching back" *cough* BS *cough*).....argh, ok wow, writing a novel on it, I'm not bitter either, obviously :)
I'm not usually one for order and neatness. We live in chaos, I prefer it to be clean, like as in let's not let mold grow there or that cheerio sit there for 3 more days lol however we're messy. We have entirely too much junk. I love my junk, I have such a hard time parting with things. But every now and then, I have to clear some out. I don't always like it lol.
Yes, BFF's come with mega food privileges, I absolutely LOVE to cook for others, next time you're in the neighborhood, drop on by :P

ProzacPoet said...

ummmhello-
LOL actually, I do moan and groan every day! We won't even get into my near mental breakdown last year before his last deployment lol. But thank you, I do my best to hold it all together (for the most part!), and do what I can to support him in his career.

ProzacPoet said...

jared-
I gather from my super-sleuth investigating skills that you are mo's hubby :P
Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and for the input. At this point, retirement is one of the only things making it worth sticking it out for 10 more years. His morale has steadily decreased the past 2 years or so, and I'm not sure there is much that will really make him "fall in love" with the job again.